Thursday, 18 October 2007

Management Challenge

It's kind of interesting going from an old job (in the US) where I had minor, basic management responsibilities to a new job where I am responsible for the wellbeing of an entire department. If you've been following the story (here's a quick recap for those who haven't), I've had a number of defections from the department, and I am currently down one Deputy and one Supervisor (which makes half of the management team), down one full-time Sales Advisor (and will lose one more to maternity leave in two weeks), and down a few casuals because they've been promoted to part-time status. And, there's a second full-time Sales Advisor who is pregnant and I'll be losing her to leave in the spring.

Sounds dire, doesn't it? The thing is, it's in the process of being sorted. I've spent some time training new casual staff, will be interviewing Deputy Candidates next week, and the Supervisor thing is in the process of being sorted (though I've just been cut out of the process on that one...). I will also be working with one of the front-of-house managers, training her on box office management, which will mean we'll have an interim backup. I find that while everything is in the works, I feel like I've lost a huge amount of control, and I feel very insecure about my position. I've got an older Sales Advisor (this is his last job before retirement, really) who I think is testing my boundaries, but the Supervisor is convinced he's not doing anything on purpose and that I'm looking for trouble. Meanwhile I think the Supervisor is reaching for her own power grab- starting little training initiatives without telling me, sending out departmental reprimands without letting me know what's going on first... I've got my big to-do list of everything that *has* to get done in order to function on the most necessary level, and a lot of these training things are on the list somewhere, just not at the top. We sit down, the supervisor and I, every week and talk about what's going on, but I feel like I'm losing a bit of control and I'm not sure what to do about it.

No comments: