Wearing a suit makes me feel more important and in charge. Yes, there is a dress code at work- either the company issued polo shirt, or a suit with a white or aqua blouse underneath jacket- but I haven't exactly adhered to it from day one. Nobody has said anything, and when I sort of said something about it to my boss, he basically told me he didn't care what I wore. But today I felt like wearing a suit, and it made me feel different.
It would've been nice if someone told me a contingent from Royal Shakespeare Company was going to be at work, taking a tour of the facilities (including an extended look at the box office). glad i decided to wear that suit today :-P They were very nice people, but did look at me a little strangely when I welcomed them in my american accent.
I was supposed to go on a house visit (with the head of HR) to the Supervisor Who Turned Psycho, but late yesterday afternoon she called and said that today wouldn't be a good choice, and could we do NEXT Friday, as that was the next day her fiance would be off of work and able to be there to lend support. We can't freaking talk to him, and he's not allowed to talk, so why do we have to wait for him? I'm so fed up with this situation. 'Supervisor' has been out of work for nearly two months, and we can't do anything until she either decides to come back to work or finally files a grievance (and then we have to wait for that process to play out).
We received ten deal sheets in the box office today, which means ten shows to set up, but I am up to my eyeballs in applications for sales advisor positions (right now we are short two). While I am immensely thankful that I'm no longer stuck with work-study students, some of the applications I read weren't much better. I've got the usual assortment of actors who need money (and would only use this as a jumping ground), general deadbeats who can't hold a job for more than 8 months, and also a number of freaks- one who is suing her former employer, one who has taken off two months for stress and another 3 weeks for other illnesses in the last two years, as well as a stay-at-home-mom looking to get back into the workforce but readily admits she has ZERO computer experience and doesn't know much about the arts. Greeeat.
Despite all of this, I love where I am and what I'm doing. I am just as confident today as I always have been that this is where I'm meant to be. I love all of you, and I like the United States, but I feel like this is my home. This feeling is exactly like what I felt when I said "screw it" and moved with my family to New Hampshire four days before my senior year of high school started. That was an incredibly difficult thing to do, but it was the best decision I ever made. What is going on now is much the same, even down to the people accepting me for me.
Now I've got a three day weekend ahead of me, with no plans at all except for bowling with the Box Office on Monday night. I feel like a loser that I have nothing else planned :-P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment