I had to go to London (again) yesterday for work- this time it was a UK ticketing system users conference. Actually, it's a whole Customer Relationship Management package (tickets, fundraising, marketing...). But anyway. I knew I'd know some of the people there because I'd have met them in Tucson (and it was great fun to see them again). But there was one person there who I did not expect to recognise me. It was the CEO (an American from Dallas) of the company that makes the software! The five of us from work who went to London were standing around at the coffee area pre-presentation, when the Marketing Director (who also went to Tucson) said "look, there's the CEO of the company. I bet he'll remember you." I was like "no, he'll see me, but remember you." Turns out that not only did the CEO remember my face, he remembered my name as well. I had to introduce him around to the group and everything. I was impressed that he remembered me.
The other thing that's happened is that I've got an entire agenda item to myself at the monthly all-staff meeting (usually 25-30 people in attendance- mostly department heads and senior staff) at the end of this week. I had mentioned something to the Chief Executive last week to the effect of "I've noticed a lot of people not respecting others lately, would you mind putting it on the agenda for the meeting?" in the hopes that she would say a little something. Not only did she put it on the agenda, she asked me if *I* would mind speaking about it, and doing a little reminder of the Core Values of the organisation besides! Eek! No, I don't have a problem speaking in front of people, but I've been there literally six months, and I can see other people taking it as me being cheeky, or a suckup or something :-P No way I could refuse, though, you know?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment