Thursday 12 April 2007
Today was the day that I was always dreading before leaving the States- the first day where nothing seemed to go right. I was up with the sun this morning (on my day off) and couldn’t go back to sleep. Then I went to work to check my email because I still don’t have internet access here (story there too), and someone tells me that the kid whose mother died last week might not come back at all… then I go furniture shopping and get really discouraged because everything is so damned expensive- a side table for £ 199, or a simple ottoman for £ 120, or a regular size coffee table for at least £ 349.… and it was like that everywhere I went. While the secondhand stores are cheaper, they didn’t have anything I was even remotely interested in. looks like it’s going to have to be Ikea online (because it’s inaccessible by public transport), and hope that they can deliver when *I* want them to.
Then I come back to my flat to check that my phone service was turned on. I plug in the phone I just bought, and I have no dial tone. I try it in all three jacks, and nothing works. The telephone company (I called on my mobile) was telling me to find the main jack for the apartment, unscrew the plate, and try plugging in the telephone on the “test” jack that they have in there. So I undo all three jacks, because I don’t know which one is the main one, and there’s no test jack for me. Shit. I leave it alone and decide I’ll call them tomorrow.
Shortly thereafter, I get a phone call from work, asking if I can come in tomorrow (my other day off this week) for a meeting with the finance team. Great….. Tessitura *can’t* do some things Finance and the auditors want, but I’m not sure how we can really deal with that.
I decide to go shopping again, but can’t find anything I’m looking for. The jeans I have are too big, but can’t find anything that fits me, I can’t find a bathroom storage unit; I’m just not having any luck at all. In the midst of my wanderings, I get a text message- it’s work, again. One of my advisors just handed in their notice, so now I’m down two full-timers, and if fully staffed, we’re supposed to be at five or six. Right now it appears I’m at four. Lovely.
Come home, put down my stuff, and decide I have to go pee. I pull on the cord that turns on the light (for some reason, it’s not a switch), and something shorts, and now the bathroom lights aren’t working. I tried swapping fuses with a socket that I’ll never use, and it doesn’t work. So I go to put some things away in my bedroom, and the bedroom light doesn’t work either. Nor does the hall light, or the light in the kitchen, or the living room. Fuck. All of the wall sockets work, but none of the overhead lights work, and I don’t have a lamp that plugs into the wall. So I’m sitting on my floor right now as darkness descends, and the only light I have is that from the computer screen. Yes, I have two candles, but I’ll need them so I can see to shower tomorrow morning.
Oh, I forgot to mention that out of all the keys I have for my apartment, none of them seem to unlock the door where we’re supposed to put all our trash. I talked to the estate agent, and they’ll try to get ahold of someone and get me the right key, but… as of now (I haven’t checked my email this afternoon), I still don’t have a contact number for the super, so I’m not even sure who to call about all the ceiling lights being out!
I’m hungry, so I’m going to eat my pizza in the dark now. Actually, I think the situation calls for a dvd- and it’s going to be dodge ball (wish I had The Ringer- “where‘s my fucking ice cream?”), because I need some dumbasses to make me laugh. (note: this is not a rant about England sucking. This could’ve happened anywhere! I still really like England)
Friday 13 April 2007
In a way, it shames me to admit how agitated I got that things haven’t gone perfectly the past two days. Yes, I still don’t have a key for the trash bins, and no, I haven’t been able to get my phone line to work, and I haven’t figured out where the fuse box is so I can flip it and make my lights work yet (keep in mind that I‘m not totally without electricity- all the wall sockets work, remember), but… these are all trivial things, when it comes down to it. I was sitting in my hallway (how nice it is to have graduated to a real-sized apartment) putting together a wire shelving unit (which just barely fits into a nook in the bathroom- it’s crowded in that corner, but I was tired of having all of my body washes, shampoos and box of tampons on the floor!)- sorry, got off track for a second. What I was about to say is that sitting in the hall, putting the unit together, I thought to myself, “well, this is my Nepal.” I mean that in the sense of, ‘this is my adventure, my chance to prove that *things* really don’t mean that much to me.’ Am I more self-sufficient than I was before? I don’t know. I’m not sure if before I was self-sufficient, or just blocking everyone out and wallowing in my own personal tragedies/dramas, magnified out of proportion… yes, I was an island, but of what, I cannot say :-P
Anyway, time for me to peel some potatoes. I did the smart thing while reading while there was light enough (it’s quarter past 8pm now), and now comes the cooking- I usually don’t eat until late to begin with, and miracle of miracles, the light over the stove works. That means I’ll be able to peel and chop without peeling and chopping my fingers along with my food!
Monday 16 April 2007
I’m finding my estate agency most unhelpful. They were supposed to get back to me on Friday with progress on finding me a key that works for the garbage area. I haven’t heard anything yet, and tomorrow is Tuesday. I’ve followed up, and I’m waiting for their response. I don’t have real lights yet, either. They told me to go buy a light bulb and then flick the fuse switch. Um, I’ve already *tried* changing the bulb, and while all of the wall sockets have flip switches on them, they didn’t affect anything when I flipped them and then tried to turn on the ceiling lights. So I’ve asked where the fuse box is. I played dumb and said “I might be looking for the wrong thing- you know, a box in a closet somewhere that has a whole bunch of switches in it, all controlling different areas of the building/apartment.” But damn, I’m frustrated. I’d like to take a shower in something more than candle light.
I sent a formal email enquiry to BT (British Telephone) about my phone line, too. Today, I got something in the mail that was basically a recap of the service I’d agreed to/ordered by my mobile phone last week. The part that disturbed me is that there was a note saying that my new phone number was provisionally assigned, and a confirmation would be forthcoming. Perhaps this means they haven’t really turned on my service after all? So I had to check on that, too. These things are making me feel like a noodge, a nagger, and a pest. But I don’t really know what else to do? I feel helpless asking “where’s the fuse box?” and “you said my phone is working, but it’s really not.” Grargh!
On the work front- the newest rumour has it that the Supervisor Who Turned Psycho *is* coming back. Today was supposed to be the last day of her 2nd two weeks’ worth of leave. The HR manager who spoke to the Supervisor Who Turned Psycho said she had a doctor appointment in the morning, and would call from there. So I have no idea if she’s really coming back or not. I still had to re-do six weeks’ worth of Management Schedule to fit her on it, just in case. It’s going to be pretty awkward if she comes back…
A brighter note- the advisor whose mother died is coming back! He’s supposed to be in tomorrow afternoon. I’m glad about that, because he’s a good kid, but quiet. We’ll see what happens.
I’ve bitched and moaned a lot the past few days about things not going right, what do I do now that life is “normal” and that sort of thing… I feel much better now. Sometimes just writing is enough to make it better. And hearing from old friends, even if it’s just email, also helps a lot… Like I’ve said, I want to share with those who know my past.
Wednesday 18 April 2007 (in the morning)
Today is a day off, and I’m sitting here waiting for British Telephone to arrive so they can take a look at my phone stuff. I really hope it’s BT’s fault that things aren’t working, because I don’t want to have to pay for the visit. But if it isn’t BT’s fault, and it’s not something to do with my actual handsets, I feel like I shouldn’t have to be out the money, because it wasn’t working when I took the apartment. But I highly doubt I’d get the money back from the real estate agency, because they still haven’t managed to get me my garbage key or tell me how to get my lights back on…
More about the Supervisor Who Turned Psycho- you know how I said she had a doctor’s appointment early in the morning yesterday? Well, the stupid doctor signed her off for another whole MONTH. HR and I were talking, and I think what happens now is either we make Supervisor come in for a chat, or we go visit her for a chat, to figure out if she’ll ever be able to come back. In the meantime, we’re elevating a regular Sales Advisor to a temporary supervisor… I don’t think it will ever be easy! But I really like where I am, and what I’m doing.
I know I’ve promised you all lots of pictures, and I’m sorry I haven’t posted any yet. Once I get broadband installed, I’ll be putting things up, and updating on a more regular basis. It’s easier than lugging my laptop to work and sitting in the cafĂ© at lunch, where I’ll just get interrupted (well-meaning) by people who stop to say hello.
Thursday 19 April 2007
Today was full of unexpected surprises. The telephone company guy came exactly when he said he would, and I don’t think it will cost me anything, because the fault was outside. Then I got a free lunch from Simon because he invited me to a working lunch with the Tessitura specialist who was here training Development (and it was just the three of us). Then I got my paystub, and there was an extra £ 200 in it due to the pay rise (I’m wondering if they made a mistake on mine!…). Life would be really really good if only I had a key so I could throw away my trash, and if I had ceiling lights. I’m not happy about having to go into the estate agent’s office, but… I haven’t gotten a response from them! I know, I’ll get dressed up in a suit, maybe they’ll take me a little more seriously then.
Broadband will be available tomorrow, if I’m here when Royal Mail tries to deliver the package I have to sign for. Otherwise, it’ll be Saturday or Monday. Then I’ll have Skype! Though I’m too fixated on talking to some of you… and it’s probably better for me (in the short term, at least) if I keep pretending I’m an ostrich :-P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment